Getting to Flamingo Bay by road or air
25 March 2015
There are two ways to get to Flamingo Bay in Mozambique, situated on the beautiful coast south of Vilankulo and north of Maputo in Inhambane. You can drive, or fly! This region is known for its perfect beaches, fantastic range of water sports, wonderful family hotels and romantic suites for honeymoon couples. Special package deals to Flamingo Bay run all year and all you have to is get there! Click here to learn more about travel packages to the resort.
If you are driving from Johannesburg:
• Take the N4 past Witbank, Mbombela, via Nelspruit and all the way to the Komatipoort border.
• Once through the Mozambique Ressano Garcia Border Post, follow the main toll road to Maputo.
• As you enter Maputo, proceed through the toll gate and take a left turn onto the EN1 to Xai-Xai.
• After Xai-Xai, continue on the North Coastal Road, passing smaller villages and towns including Chidenguele, Quissico and Inharrime.
• Look for a signboard on your left for Lindela - immediately after this sign, the tar road forks and you must turn right.
• Inhambane is approximately 33 km from this turn - once in Inhambane, drive to where you see the harbour quay on your left.
• Turn right at Broad Road Avenue DA Independecia - continue to the large semi-circle and turn right onto the road running at the back of the traffic circle.
• Keep on this road for 18 km, passing the airport turn-off on your left.
• The last seven kilometres to Flamingo Bay are sand.
To avoid Maputo, take the alternate route:
- Approximately 40 km from the border post, turn left to Moamba.
- In Moamba stay on tar road and turn right.
- Shortly after leaving Moamba turn left and cross the river over bridge. Tar now ends.
- Keep on this road through village of Sabie to Magude town (95km).
- Go through Magude, cross railroad bridge, turn left to Xinavane.
- Go straight through Xinavane to T junction.
- Turn left onto EN 1 towards Masia and Xai Xai.
- This route is shorter than route through Maputo and more scenic.
This only for 4x4 vehicles so please no small vehicles.
After all this, you can also arrange a transfer from Inhambane to the lodge, provided by the lodge itself!
Remember, that when you are driving, proceed with caution as Mozambique speed limits are enforced. It will take anything between six to eight hours. It is advised to not drive at night.
Flying in to Flamingo Bay:
If you are flying to Flamingo Bay, you can fly in from South Africa or abroad, to Johannesburg, Maputo or Vilankulo. Then you need to get to Inhambane via another flight or a drive there, as above. Flamingo Bay is situated a mere 35 minutes from the airport on the Bara Peninsula, part of Barra Resorts.
There are also several flights during the week to Mozambique’s Inhambane from Johannesburg, Dar es Salaam, and Nairobi to Pemba in the North.
You will be met by a representative of Flamingo Bay Water Lodge who will take you to the lodge. Note: if you fly into Maputo you will most likely need to stay the night there, as the flights may not connect. Contact our consultants for professional assistance with your travel plans to Flamingo Bay.